Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Testimony to God's Grace

I have learned that Jesus always hears our prayers and he answers if we just listen. Usually my husband and I take turns saying grace, and many times he will ask me to do it because he says I pray more eloquently than he does. But, we should remember that Jesus hears what is in our hearts, not just the words we say aloud. It is what is inside that matters. Many people "speak" the words, but they do not carry the words within their hearts. Mere words are meaningless unless they are backed by a true belief, a true faith.

Joseph M. Scriven, in 1855, penned the following lyrics which are so very dear to my heart:

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!

It is a privilege to carry our burdens to God in prayer.

Since December, my husband has had a serious illness. His bladder stopped functioning and he was admitted to the hospital with acute renal failure. I found myself in constant prayer. I wasn't ready to lose my husband, but I knew that God was in control. Worse, I had retired from my job and only then learned that my husband was not eligible to enter into Medicare Part B. What were we to do? I turned the burdens to God and He lifted us up. The VA accepted my husband under hardship due to the drastic change in our income since we would only have our social security to live on. It took months of getting through all the necessary steps with various doctors to finally get my husband scheduled for surgery. But, we waited patiently knowing God was the ultimate physician. On March 29, my husband has surgery. We learned on April 6, that the surgery was successful! Finally, after nearly four months of having to live with a catheter, my husband is healed. God is so gracious! He knew the outcome, and we just had to trust in Him, be faithful, and patient.

I don't know how we would have survived if we hadn't turned to God in prayer. Hallelujah!

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised
Thou wilt all our burdens bear;
May we ever, Lord, be bringing
All to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright, unclouded,
There will be no need for prayer—
Rapture, praise, and endless worship
Will be our sweet portion there.

Thank you, Mr. Scriven, for such a heartwarming reminder of the grace and mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: