Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hope by the Power of the Holy Spirit

Hope is found in the Bible. Romans 15:13 "May the god of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

At times we are filled with despair. During those times, some people give up. But, God would want us to turn to him, to trust him. I learned this so well during the month of December. My husband nearly died from an enlarged prostate blocking his bladder. This happened when I had already given notice to my employer that I was retiring at the end of the year. Little did we know then, that we wouldn't be able to get my husband under Part B Medicare until the middle of the following year. Faced with unsurmountable bills and no income to sustain us through the hard times to come, I refused to give up hope. I trusted God to walk with us through this time of darkness. I prayed for God's mercy, healing, and direction.

My mother had moved in with us several months prior due to her illness. My plan of retiring was to be able to care for her. Her spirits had lifted during the Christmas season, but on December 30th, my husband and my 30th wedding anniversary, God called my mother home. Dealing with her loss, and my husband's dire illness, nearly drove me to the depths of despair. But God lifted me up and walked with me through the trials. He showed me a path to gain medical assistance for my husband. He sustained me through the grief of losing my mother.

During all the pain, I knew He walked beside me, and at times He held me in His arms. And He brought us through the darkness into the light.

Hope is eternal through God's grace.

No comments: