Saturday, March 26, 2011

I Saw God Today...In a Dandelion

I frowned when I looked in my front garden area where nothing should be growing in this cold spell. All my rose bushes are brown and dormant, as are my coneflowers, and hostas plants. But on either side of the walk something very green is growing. Dandelions!!!

So, I worried about whether to yank them up now or wait until the ground is not quite so hard. I walked to the back yard and headed to the water faucet to draw water for the outdoor feral cats. Below the water faucet is a bed of rocks. To my amazement I saw another dandelion growing in the middle of these stones!!

I grumbled and groused to myself for a minute and then God tapped me and reminded me of all the wonderful summers I spent growing up in an area called "Dutch Hollow." Wow. All the wonderful huge lawns covered in beautiful yellow dandelions. No one worried about ridding them from their yards. We enjoyed the natural grass that grew along with crabgrass, dandelions and other wild flowers.

What happened? When did we start worrying about keeping our lawns nothing but green carpets? When did we start spending huge amounts of money on maintaining a "green" look? Sometimes I wish I could go back to live in the days when we appreciated all of God's gifts...even dandelions!

No comments: