Monday, February 23, 2009

Being Blessed by an Act of Kindness

Yesterday I had to purchase some craft gloves, and on the journey I asked God to show me an opportunity to bless someone with an act of kindness. I walked through the store for several minutes and found what I needed and headed back to the checkout lanes. The lines were long and a new cashier opened her lane. A young man stepped in first and I followed. We had to wait while the cashier put her drawer in and got it ready. She kept apologizing, but I kept looking at what the young man had on the counter as his purchase. He had one bottle of black acrylic craft paint, like one uses for ceramics. I knew it wouldn't cost much. He also had a 40% off coupon. I wondered if this was the opportunity God had planned. The cashier rang his order and it came to only fifty-seven cents. He started to hand her his bank card and I said, "Please put your card away. I will pay for your purchase with mine." He looked at me and said, "Are you sure?" I smiled and said, "Absolutely. Have a wonderful day and one day pass it on." He smiled back and thanked me. The cashier was gushing about how I had made her day...how she'd hoped that would happen one day in her line. I felt that I'd actually blessed three people, the young man, the cashier, and myself. My heart was full of happiness. Then when my register tape printed out, the cashier was amazed. She said, "You got a 20% discount for your next purchase! You blessed someone and received a blessing in return." I thanked her and told her that was something we should all remember.

So, have you blessed someone recently? If so, please share your story by sending it to me. You can do so by using the "contact me" link on my website. I will post it here on my blog. The goal is to show everyone that acts of kindness are happening all around the world, every single day.

God bless and thanks for reading!

No comments: