Sunday, February 15, 2009

Spreading Kindness One Story at a Time

Hello dear friends,

I've decided to reopen this blog after being inspired by another writer friend. There is so much talk about bad things happening, the spiraling economy, depression, and destruction flooding the internet, the newspapers, the radio and television. But, there are wonderful things happening every day that aren't reported. Even though evil is invading our world today, it is no different than in the beginning, when Eve took that first bite of the apple.

But God is still active and he is touching people every day through his followers. My writer friend pulled through a drive thru one morning and asked how much the order was for the car behind her. She then paid for that order as well as her own. When the cashier asked if she knew the people, she told her no, but that she hoped the people in turn would do an act of kindness for someone else. The cashier smiled and said she would pass that on to the unsuspecting recipients of my friend's generosity. Now my writer friend has been inspired to do something good for another person each week, and she has issued the challenge to others.

I've decided to pick up the challenge. Each week, I will look for an opportunity to do something for someone else. And, I'm asking each of my readers to take up the challenge as well. Send me your story of kindness through the contact info on my website (Click here) and I'll post it here on my blog.

Last week my act of kindness was to pay the membership dues for another writer who didn't have the money to pay before having late fees. What about you? Care to share?

I believe God gives us opportunities every day to do a kindness for another person, but sometimes we aren't listening. It doesn't have to be monetary. Perhaps you know an older person who might be lonely. You could visit and share your time. You could visit a nursing home. You could write a letter to a soldier. There are many, many ways to reach out and help someone with a smile, a kind word, or a deed.

I'm looking forward to posting my weekly act of kindness, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

God Bless and thanks for stopping by.

No comments: