Friday, February 20, 2009

Sometimes It's the Little Things that Count

In the morning commute, we all tend to keep our eyes straight ahead intent on getting to work on time and wishing everyone would get out of the way. I try not to dwell on that mentality, but I must admit that it does happen. I've been that person sitting at a crossroads wanting to turn when no one will give me the courtesy. So, I decided yesterday that I would be kind to anyone who needed to turn. Since I travel on a two lane road all the way to work, this wouldn't be difficult. My first opportunity was a school bus driving the opposite direction. The driver was trying to turn left into a subdivision but the long line of traffic kept moving. When I got close enough, I stopped and signaled the driver it was safe to turn. I got a wave in return. As I traveled along the road, I found two more opportunities to allow people to move out of their subdivisions into our lane of traffic. Each person acknowledged the kindness. By the time I reached work, I felt happy and upbeat. Doing little kindnesses will bring a happiness to your soul.

I'd love to share your stories of "keeping hope alive" in our troubled world. It doesn't have to be big and it doesn't have to be monetary. Email your story to me from the "contact" page on my website. I will be happy to keep your name annonymous if you prefer.

HOPE IS THE THING WITH FEATHERS

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
--Emily Dickinson

God bless and may your day be filled with His blessings.

No comments: