Monday, May 11, 2009

Words Can Kill

I've always believed that the pen is mightier than the sword. But I've always thought of this in terms of the written word.

However, the words we speak can be more wounding than a physical blow. With words we can tear down self-esteem and inflict lifelong damage to others. Our tongues are weapons.

Paul, in his letter to the Corinthians (I Corinthians 13:1-1 NIV)says that if we speak without love, we are nothing more than a clanging cymbal. To speak with love, we need to have unconditional love for another person. The words must come from our heart, and have no ulterior motive.

Do you remember hearing this? "If you loved me, you would...." or "After all I've done for you, this is how you..." That, dear friends, is manipulative speech. I've been guilty. How about you?

We need to think before we speak. And, before we are quick to ridicule or judge, remember that God loves us unconditionally. Through His grace we are saved.

Belated Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers reading this. You are blessed by God to be placed in a nurturing role. Do so with love.

No comments: