Monday, March 15, 2010

Creative Energy and Spare Time

Years ago, I spent my spare time working on crafts. I've knitted clothes for my children and grandchildren, crocheted afghans, painted ceramics, woodburned pictures, created candle and flower arrangements, and painted rocks into animals. Since I started writing, my crafting time disappeared and I poured all my creative energy into my books.

It seems I do have more spare time now that I've retired from the day job, and with hubby being "tied" to the house, I don't like to spend too much time down in my office away from him. So when I sit upstairs to watch television with him, I needed something to make me feel productive. I heard about prayer shawl ministries and started reading up on what it involved. Now, I have a stash of yarn and a drawer of prayer shawls. As I work on the shawl, I pray for the person who will receive it. As I hear of women in my church who are facing surgery, I pick out the shawl I believe they will like and pray for them while holding the shawl. I visit the person in the hospital and present them with the gift.

Now what would be an unproductive time has turned into a labor of love.

No comments: