Sunday, May 2, 2010

Rejection Hurts...

I moved from a friendly small town in the midwest to a suburb of Washington, D.C., when my children were not yet old enough to attend school. My first shock came when we entered a grocery store and I smiled at the clerk who waited on us. No return smile! I tried smiling at people I'd pass and found not one friendly face. Weeks and months passed. Still whenever I reached out to smile or share a friendly word with a stranger, the only thing I received in return was a cold, or distant return glance. That was a very hard time of life for me.

I wonder if that's what God feels when He smiles down on us and we ignore Him. Jesus walked the earth and people refused to listen, denied Him, and killed Him. How His heart must have hurt to be dying for our sins while being rejected by the people He'd come to save. Each and every day, God smiles down on us with the blessing of another sunrise, another sunset, clothing on our backs, food for our stomachs, shelter, and more...so much more. Yet, few thank Him.

Today, I still smile and speak to strangers. Sometimes I get a smile in return, sometimes we strike up a conversation, but sometimes I get rejected. It still hurts. Sometimes I think an ungrateful word, or silently call them an unkind name. That isn't what Jesus would do. So, each day I try to remember to share my smile and kind word without expecting anything in return. How can I love others less than God does?

No comments: