Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Simple Thank You

My hubby and I were having dinner at Boston Market on Christmas Eve before attending candlelight service. While we were there a young city policeman arrived, but didn't get in line to order food. He sat at one of the tables and I wondered if he was supposed to be providing security. From time to time he'd get up and walk around staring out the windows as if looking for something or someone.

We'd been eating for about ten minutes when another policeman came in. The first one told his friend he'd been worried about him. Voices low, they shared a story...perhaps about a call he'd been on. Then they ordered their dinner and sat conversing.

I thought about this being Christmas Eve and these two men being separated from their families to protect us. This tugged at my heart continually until we finished our dinner. Before we left, I approached the policemen's table and said "Excuse me."

They both looked up and said, "Yes Ma'am," probably expecting me to complain about something. I just smiled and said, "I just wanted to tell you thank you for what you do and God bless you."

The smiles and expressions on their faces spread a warmth through my heart. They thanked me and we left.

Perhaps this wouldn't be such a big deal for someone else to do, but for me, the eternally shy one, I had to step way out of my comfort zone to approach those total strangers. I've felt so blessed after this experience, that I know God used that moment to teach me how to share his love with others.

God bless, and thanks for visiting.

No comments: