Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Joy of Giving

When I was a child, I remember hearing "It is more blessed to give than to receive." I kind of knew what it meant, but I didn't fully appreciate the words until later in life. Now, I make prayer shawls, visit friends who are in hospitals, take friends to therapy, and volunteer for church services. But these are just little token things I'm able to do now that I don't go to work every day. But giving is so much more.

We touch other lives every single day. Sometimes we don't know what impression we've made on another. We might be viewed by a total stranger without our knowledge. What might they remember about us?

In Sunday School, we talked about how we have influenced others to follow Christ. That's a hard question to answer. Most times we won't even know. That got me to thinking about how I might appear to a total stranger as I walk through a grocery store, or pass on a street or in a car. Do they see a joyful person? Or do they see the disgruntled person who is annoyed at having to run another errand? When someone cuts me off, do they see anger? I believe it's the little things that really make the difference. Stopping to let someone into a line of traffic. Allowing the person who has only a few items to purchase move ahead of me in the line. Trying not to judge others by their inconsiderate actions and put things into perspective. I mean, after all, if someone cuts me off, what will that matter in the future? But, if I show anger, call rude names, then I've become even angrier and that remains with me, amping up my reaction to the next affront.

Yeah, I know, easier said than done. But, definitely something to pray for. It all boils down to "it's better to give than to receive." Give a smile instead of a rude gesture. The return will be so much greater.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: