Sunday, September 13, 2009

Intruders

Lately we've had spiders of various kinds invading our home. They are silent intruders who show up in the least likely places to freeze my progress. I'm so afraid of spiders. I don't know where the fear came from, but it's truly debilitating. I've had a hard time learning to stand up to the challenge of banishing these eight-legged intruders. Once they are gone, the fear, too, is gone.

The devil works in the same way. Throughout the day he sets intruders on a path to invade my thoughts. Negative thoughts lead to self doubt. Self doubt is the devil's joy. But the threat is unseen. With spiders, the threat is visible. Spying the devil at work inside me is difficult. The devil sets his intruders on a treadmill inside my life that moves me in a path opposite of the path Jesus would have me walk.

But I have the ultimate weapon. I have God. God lives in me and through me and walks with me. With Him, I have the power to banish the devil. I speak aloud and tell the devil he is not welcome and that I will walk with God. I pray. I feel the power of His eternal love and the warmth and hope that replaces the self doubt.

Hope is eternal.

May the joy of the Lord fill you today.

No comments: