Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Priorities

Sometimes I find myself spinning in circles and going nowhere, trying to sort out the priorities in my life.

At work, a phone call might mean a new project, or a problem with one I'm right smack in the middle of completing. Sometimes hours of work might be tossed away. What is important one day takes a backseat to a new "emergency."

At home, I know what needs to be done and I have good intentions to get through all the weekend chores. But, good intentions go awry. Things happen.

A telephone call or a knock at the door might mean an unexpected visit with family members. Cleaning will have to wait. That trip to the grocery store...how will I manage that?

At times like this, I have to step back and look at the priorities in my life. What is really important to me? Spending time with family centers my soul. It also throws off my "to do" list. Perhaps at the end of the weekend, my laundry will not be completed, dust might remain in a light layer across my furniture, the kitchen floor still needs to be mopped. But, my heart is full.

Spending time with God each day is also important. Starting each and every day with God is the greatest blessing in my life. With God, I can see what the true priorities in my life should be. It's not the "to do" lists in my life. Lists are only pieces of paper. God, family and friends are lasting treasures.

No comments: