Monday, June 15, 2009

Love is the Key--Forty Days of Love

As I began my journey through the 40 Days of Love, I had no idea how it would change my life...or rather how it would change me. Through the six week journey, I learned the one thing that had kept God outside the door of my heart. Though I had accepted Jesus as my Savior, I hadn't had a life-changing event like some people. I asked God to come in, I prayed, but something kept that door closed. That something was forgiveness. Thought I had asked God to forgive me and I thought I had forgiven myself, and my enemies--the truth remained that I hadn't.

How could I be forgiven? I knew Jesus died on that cross for all of us, so that we could be forgiven, if we believed and if we asked. That's where the faith must come in. I had to believe that I was worthy of being forgiven. God loves all his children and he trusts that we will come to him with open hearts and open arms to receive his forgiveness and mercy.

As I moved through the 40 Days of Love series, I found myself believing that I had been forgiven and I truly forgave all my enemies. All the old baggage that reared up from time to time to grab me and bring out the anger from old hurts has disappeared. I haven't forgotten, but these things no longer have any control over my emotions. I don't hurt any longer. I feel truly cleansed.

Subsequently, love has filled my heart. I feel joy and face each new day with excitement and anticipation. I want to share my joy with everyone.

Love is the key. Love. Once you can love your neighbor as yourself, then true happiness will flood your soul. That love can only come through Jesus. Through believing, through faith, through true forgiveness.

May God's mercy touch you today and always.

No comments: