Monday, June 22, 2009

Through the Storm

On Friday, we had a terrible storm. The sky was a strange yellowish green color as it rolled in with lightning and thunder just in time for rush hour. I am so frightened of lightning and the loud booms of thunder (which is why I avoid fireworks). The thought of having to drive to work in the storm had my muscles clenched in terror.

The rain pounded against the ground like the sound of horses galloping across an open plain. Before I made it out of our subdivision, a huge bolt of lightning complete with jagged forks of fire flashed in front of me. Hunching my shoulders, fingers tight on the steering wheel, I began to pray.

I prayed that God would not let me hurt anyone else on my journey, and that he would get me safely through the storm. I kept praying over and over those same words and then moved to repeating the 23rd Psalm. One mile down the road, the rain began to let up. The sky looked even more ominous, but no further lightning or thunder resounded across the sky. I only had three more miles to travel. I drove through deep puddles of water as the sky continued to whirl in deepening threat. I kept praying the 23rd Psalm, eyes on the road, and arrived at work. I walked into the building without having to put anything over my head to protect me from the rain.

As soon as I went through the double doors, the rain resumed with crashes of thunder and galloping horses.

I thanked God for sending Jesus to ride with me. Every day there are small miracles which occur. God is good, all the time.

No comments: