Friday, April 3, 2009

Whoa! You Want Me to Do What? Trust?

Trust is something we have been taught is an earned reward. When my children would lie to me and I would find out the truth (as most parents do), I told them they would have to earn my trust again. I'm sure my parents said the same thing to me. Is it any wonder we have trouble trusting in God?

The theme woven through most of my books is trust. We tend to be individuals who depend on ourselves rather than others, we trust ourselves, but trusting in another person is harder. Throughout our lives we run into issues of trust. How do you trust someone who has proven themselves to be untrustworthy? It's difficult. We need them to "earn" our trust.

I participated in a group leadership seminar once where we had to "trust" in our fellow members in various scenarios. What a humbling experience. It taught me a lot about having trust in others...not easy for me.

How about you? Do you trust easily or do you expect others to earn your trust?

I'm sure that's what God experienced when He sent His son to earth. He had to earn our trust by allowing His son to die on the cross for all us, so that those who believe in Him could have everlasting life.

Still, many times we question God in times of trouble.

Prayer for the Day: Dear Heavely Father, Help me to place my trust in You. Amen.

No comments: