Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ask God for Wisdom - Advent Day 3

Read: James 1:5-8

When preparing to fill out our church pledge cards for 2009, I prayed for God to show me what we should give. A figure kept coming into my mind and I knew in my heart this was God's answer. However, the reality of giving more money than we had the previous year, in light of the economy and my husband's failing health, was daunting. In order to keep our insurance costs down, we changed our plan to one where we have to pay a larger amount of any hospitalizations. We are moving my mother who is in failing health into our home. We will have to care for her both physically and monitarily. Our coutnry is in the throes of a recession bordering on depression. But, we know not what the future holds. To live in fear is self-defeating. Instead, we must listen to God when He gives us the wisdom we seek, and then we have to put our faith in Him that He will see us through.

Joseph was faced with a dilemma when he learned Mary was pregnant. He pondered on what to do, and God sent an angel to calm his fear. I'm sure Joseph saw an uncertain future stretching before Him, but his strong faith led him on the right path.

Prayer: Lord, help us to seek Your wisdom and open our hearts that we might hear your answer.

No comments: