Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Suffer the Little Children - Advent Day 10

Matthew 25:34-40 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, "Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hangry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me." Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, "Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?" And the King will answer and say to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me."

Our church women's group is involved in many missions. One is to collect teddy bears in December which will be given to the County Children's Services. The bears will be given to children who have suffered abuse, and/or neglect or some other traumatic experience. Often children are brought in by the police or fire department, and the bears give the children something to hold on to and help to alleviate their fears. This past Sunday I had my bear ready to take and yet forgot it, leaving it sitting on the sofa. At first I was upset for my memory lapse, even though there are still two weeks to bring in the bears. In hindsight, I realized that God had a hand in my "forgetfulness." I had forgotten a most important thing. I hadn't prayed for the child who would receive it. For the next week, I will hold the bear close and pray so that when a child receives the gift, it will also be full of God's love.

Prayer: Lord, please bring comfort to those who are suffering from abuse and neglect. Let me be blessed by helping to feed the hungry, clothe those without, and bring hope through words, deeds, and prayer. Amen.

No comments: