Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Spirit - Advent Day 7

Hebrews 13:1-3 Keep on loving each other as brothers and sisters. Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it! Remember those in prison, as if you were there yourself. Remember also those being mistreated, as if you felt their pain in your own bodies.

Several days ago I had to make a trip to the grocery store to pick up some items. The Salvation Army was just inside the doors with their bell and collection pot. Many people drop loose change or dollars into the collection pot, just like me. I purchase the Charity Newsie from the Shriners each year. I put money in the firemen's boots. I contribute to the food pantry, and the toys for tots. After all, it is Christmas and there are so many people in need.

What is it about Christmas that makes us realize there are others less fortunate than we are, while we turn our backs the rest of the year? Why can't we keep Christmas in our hearts all year long?

As for me, I am going to pray for God to keep my heart open to help others throughout this coming new year. Will you do the same?

Prayer: Lord, please use me as a vessel to help others so that in turn I may be blessed. Amen.

No comments: