Monday, December 8, 2008

Busy Shopping Days...Advent Day 9

Psalm 5: 11-12 But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them sing joyful praises forever. Spread your protection over them, that all who love your name may be filled with joy. For you bless the godly, O Lord; you surround them with your shield of love.

It seems as if everybody is in a huge hurry during these last weeks before Christmas. Saturday, I spent a day of running around buying groceries, stopping at the beauty shop for a perm, and finally a trip to purchase gift cards. It had started snowing during the night, a fine wet snow like tiny pebbles, blowing and beginning to stick to the ground and road. Cars tail-gated me, even though I was doing the speed limit. I saw others weaving in and out of the traffic, trying to move one car length closer in the long line at the stoplight. I parked near the rear of the lot...so many people shopping! Inside the store, I found it to be the same as it had been on the roads. People seem to drive carts the same way they drive cars...as if they have to be the first to reach their destination. Finally, with my purchases completed, I left the store. After leaving the store, I found our town had turned into a winter wonderland of snow. And it was still snowing! I decided to avoid the angry drivers and take the back roads home. I had Christmas music playing on the radio, and the scene through the windows of the car stole my breath. What a beautiful day God had given us. That's when I realized that I still had the same calm, peaceful feeling I've been enjoying, despite all the commercial Christmas hoopla.

This made me realize that my journey to draw closer to God has changed my outlook on life. No longer do I feel like yelling at other drivers, or losing patience in a traffic jam or in crowds. Many times I find myself talking to God in the car and I know he is riding with me.

Prayer: Thank you Lord for your gift of peace and unfailing love. Amen.

No comments: