Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Fool's Gold...Advent Day 18

Ecclesiastes 5:10 Those who love money will never have enough. How meaningless to think that wealth brings true happiness!


Several years ago, I thought I had finally made it. Working in a telecommunications center as a Senior Manager, I made more money than I'd ever dreamed of. I didn't worry about spending money for something "desired" and never "wanted" for anything. At least, I told myself that. The hours were long, the work was consuming, demands were high, pressure was continuous. Then, one day I arrived at work and knew something was amiss. Most of the managers were missing...then the HR manager pulled me and about one hundred other people into a meeting where we learned our jobs were being cut.

Suddenly, I was jobless at an age where it would be difficult to find a job...let alone a job at the management level I'd climbed to. For six months I struggled with the pain of failure. Then, I decided to look outside the box I'd put myself in. I talked to God. He opened my eyes. The years spent in my top paying job hadn't brought me happiness. He showed me the happiest days of my life had been when I worked in a "support" role where I wasn't expected to work overtime. Then God opened a position for me just a few miles from my home. Working 8 to 5, I now have time to spend with family. The paycheck is less than half what I used to make, but the peace and happiness I've found are worth so much more than the money. I took a wrong turn and God led me back on a fulfilling path.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for unanswered prayers. Amen.

No comments: